DAS IKF INSTITUT FÜR KÜNSTLERISCHE FORSCHUNG
DER FILMUNIVERSITÄT BABELSBERG KONRAD WOLF
International Online Conference
Transversal Entanglement Artistic Research
June 3 to 5, 2021
Thank you to all participants and contributors for your commitment!
In the current transformation of our networked societies, the audiovisual media are going through a series of profound transformations. New media forms and technologies, new ways of distribution and reception are changing the filmic arts and their professional profiles. New digital possibilities put the classic cinema space into perspective.
Filmic narratives and imageries are shaping reality under new auspices. Artistic research in the medium of film reflects and co-designs this change in its relationship to social politics and economics, science and tech development.
The conference aims to discuss forms and topics of filmic artistic research.
- How do questions and researching approaches look like in the medium of film?
- How do the procedures, contents and methods vary in the various filmic forms and technologies?
- Which experiments, thought processes and propositions shape the world of possibilities?
- What is the specific knowledge of the cinematic media forms and how does it differ from the knowledge of the sciences and technologies but also of the other art forms?
- How do discourses, narratives and imageries in film and its expanded media forms build on technological innovations? And how do they continue these developments artistically?
- What does research thought and practice mean for the actors in the various crafts in film?
- And how is artistic research in film shaping up for analog and digital spaces "after the cinema" (Godard)?
Artistic Research in Film
Artistic research is an independent way of research by means of the arts. It works in its own languages, employs its own tools and procedures and follows its own criteria. It combines discursive and non-discursive processes and results and it initiates new dialogues between the knowledge cultures. In a broad European discourse over the last 30 years, profiles and processes of artistic research have been discussed as well as its institutional framework.
At many art and film schools in Europe, artistic research is already being systematically expanded, while at others first programmes are currently being established. „Against the backdrop of this dynamic the IKF Institute for Artistic Research at Film University Babelsberg KONRAD WOLF in cooperation with GEECT, the Erich Pommer Institute, VG Bild-Kunst and the UNESCO Creative City of Film Potsdam organized the international conference Transversal Entanglement – Artistic Research in Film.
These are our Speakers!
Artistic Processes and Discourses
The focus is on Case Studies, in which renowned filmmakers present their artistic research work. Moderated plenary discussions will reflect on work processes and discourses, and break-out rooms will also offer to smaller groups of participants the opportunity to exchange views and build networks.
The Site-Specific Film research group built a physical centre for the digital conference, the Conference Stand. It presents - on site and online - 17 filmic works created specifically for this setting. The installation takes up core ideas of the conference and creates a place for relaxed thinking and focusing/defocusing on artistic research in film. The Conference Stand serves Transversal Entanglement as main stage, showcase and break room.
... and here the Moderators.
The Art of Listening. Throughout the conference, Christiane Büchner draws inspired by the presentations and discussions. Go to the gallery where you can view and download the drawings.
If you have any questions about the conference, please email us